I wrote this recipe as a guest post for Vegan Foodie Gems. This is a really easy to do dessert which you can make even if you think can’t bake! It’s quick to prepare, just needs some time to set, and you don’t need any special skills to decorate it. Simply put – anyone can make this!
SERVES 4-6 PEOPLE
1 pack / 14 regular Oreos
3 tbsp vegan margarine like Vitalite or similar
120g vegan chocolate – I used Chocolate and Love 80% Cocoa which gave a really rich tart – but just choose whatever vegan chocolate you like for this
60ml vegan single cream alternative – I used Provamel but Alpro do one too
1/2 tsp of Peppermint Extract – I used Dr Oetker American Peppermint which was clearly labelled as suitable for vegans
I used icing sugar and edible glitter, to recreate a frosty winter’s day!
You could also use mint leaves, vegan mini mallows, or more Oreos. Be careful with cake sprinkles as so many of these are not vegan!
Small cake or tart tin ideally with a loose bottom – I used a 6′ cake tin
- Prep your tin – grease the sides, and if you don’t have a loose bottomed tin put in a couple of strips of greaseproof paper that stick out over the sides to make it easy to release the tart later.
- To crush the Oreos you can either use a food processor, or put them into a freezer bag and bash with a rolling pin. I usually use the bashing method even though I have a food processor! It is quite soothing and I like getting slightly bigger bits in there too. Don’t worry about removing the creamy centre!
- Melt the margarine – I do this in the microwave in a bowl that will be large enough to contain the Oreo crumbs too. Once the margarine is melted, mix the crumbs in until they are all soaked.
- Press the mixture into your tin. You can use the bottom of a glass to help compact it tightly if you want! Pop this in the fridge for about half an hour if you can, or at least while you are making the filling.
- For the filling, put your chocolate and cream into a bowl and melt the chocolate. Again, I did this in the microwave but you could do it in a bowl over a pot of boiling water too. In either case, keep a close eye on it and keep stirring (stop the microwave at 20 second intervals to stir) until you are happy the chocolate is melted and combined with the cream.
- Add in the peppermint extract and stir in throughly
- Pour the mixture on top of the base, smooth out as much as you can
- Leave to set overnight ideally & then decorate and serve!