I made these cinnamon madeleines last week and they were delightful! I based the recipe on one I found at Delicious. Madeleines are a classic little shell shaped French sponge cake . There is some debate about whether they are biscuits or cakes – in my opinion, they are definitely cakes!
MAKES ABOUT 12 MADELEINES
85g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
85g caster sugar
95g plain flour
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tsp clear honey
1 medium free-range eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
12 hole madeleine tin
- Heat the oven to 160°C / fan 140°C / gas 3 and butter the madeleine tin.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a gentle heat.
- Combine the sugar & flour in a bowl with the vanilla essence, honey, egg & cinnamon
- Mix in the melted butter into the other ingredients until you have a nice smooth batter – I did this in my KitchenAid stand mixer with the flat beater.
- Spoon into the tin & bake for 15 minutes
- While the madeleines are still warm, put some sugar & cinamon in a broad, shallow dish and roll the warm madeleines in the sugar to coat.